Communications Officer, Public Affairs
The UN Foundation strives to advance human dignity and protect the planet through our work on issues critical to humanity’s shared future. As a strategic partner to the United Nations, we bring together fresh thinking and diverse voices to mobilize the people, ideas, and resources needed to tackle urgent problems and drive progress towards the collective promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The UN Foundation’s award-winning Public Affairs team seeks a savvy, sharp, and skilled digital-first writer with an enthusiasm for global issues and affairs. The Communications Officer is a creative, detail-oriented digital native, excited to combine their strong hands-on writing skills with their well-honed social media chops.
Reporting to the Senior Director, the Communications Officer will be responsible for a variety of communications and writing tasks including leading the re-launch of a policy orientated Twitter account, taking on day-to-day management of social presence. This person will plan, write, craft, schedule, market, track, analyze and adjust to deepen engagement with the New York diplomatic community, UN and sustainable development landscape, civil society issue experts, policy influencers, and decision makers.
The Communications Officer will work closely with senior leaders on our New York team writing speeches, blog posts, and other editorial content.
- Write, edit, and produce for a wide range of content formats – including but not limited to blog posts, speeches, emails, messaging, and marketing materials
- Proofread and thoughtfully copyedit technical content, supporting the timely review, editing, and approval processes
- Leveraging research and analytics develops and implements dynamic social media plan to rebuild targeted Twitter account to complement UNF’s core brand channels
- Manages both organic and paid daily content to reignite and build out dormant audience
- Collaborates with members of the Public Affairs team and other internal stakeholders to deliver social media content and campaign support as needed
- Monitor, listen, and respond to social audiences with mature judgment to deepen engagement and defuse issues in appropriate ways
- Optimize content for social and SEO, advises on and implement performance improvements in real time
- Up to date with latest social media and digital best practices and digital marketing trends, capturing and sharing learning
- Proactively pitch and present ideas for engaging, thumb-stopping content
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 4-5 years experience in digital communications, with demonstrated growth
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, journalism, political science, or international affairs
- Exceptional writing skills - showcasing accuracy, flair, speed across different formats, but especially for social – with high levels of creativity
- Expertise in social media management and marketing tools including tracking and analyzing data and preparing meaningful analytics reports
- Ability to express complex ideas creatively and succinctly, ideally, including through graphics and video
- Superior attention to detail
- Proficiency with WordPress CMS, HTML, Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite, Google Analytics, and other relevant tools
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with easy ability to relate to, and inspire confidence in, people at all levels, including senior UNF/UN officials as needed
- Outstanding news judgment combined with stellar abilities to work under pressure and handle stress
- Able to partner with issue experts, senior leaders, designers, producers, etc.
- Comfort with complex projects, fast-paced timelines, and working with multiple collaborators and stakeholders
- Ability to maintain a consistent editorial voice, and follow Style Guides
- Must be able to provide verifiable/bylined writing samples
- A skill assessment is part of the interview process
- Excellent time and project management skills, team player with positive attitude and professional demeanor
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.