As part of our work to build diverse constituencies of support for the UN across a range of priority issues, the UN Foundation uses strategic and compelling communications to engage with a huge range of audiences—from passionate members of the public, to organized communities of citizens, to issue experts, advocacy groups and NGOs, to world and regional governments. Every piece of content needs to be tailored to the audience but consistent in its story and perspective, and true to our mission.
Our award-winning Public Affairs team is seeking an exceptional, multi-skilled writer and digital content producer to work across the range of our issues, channels, and audience segments, to produce smart, inspiring, thumb-stopping content that helps advance our goals and priorities. Reporting to the Senior Director for Integrated Communications, this person will work on different topics areas—including climate, global health, and gender equality. Content will span different formats such as blog posts, social media, emails, graphics, event briefs, and campaign reports.
This role requires a fast worker, with an eagle eye for accuracy and tone, and an understanding of best practice across formats. They will bring some knowledge about sustainable development but delight in learning extremely quickly and on the job. The is a full-time, permanent position.
- As part of the core communications team under direction of team leads, plan, research, create, write and edit blog posts, op-eds, social media posts, graphics, fact sheets, toolkits, talking points, and more as needed, on any of the Foundation's core issues: climate, global health, gender equality, the SDGs, and multilateralism
- Assist with the development and execution of comprehensive communications, fundraising, and engagement plans and campaigns, including digital, editorial, media, and partner-facing components, with clearly articulated goals and metrics with oversight and direction from supervisor
- Carry out measurement and reporting on comms plans activities, producing reports as needed for senior Foundation colleagues
- Help with events planning, production, execution, coverage, follow-up, and reporting as needed.
- Liaise with other Foundation teams as needed on communications product delivery, and represent the Foundation to external partners, including the UN.
- Contribute ideas to team meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required with a focus on international affairs, public policy, political science, journalism, or communications preferred
- At least 3 years’ experience in journalism, communications, or a related field.
- Newsroom experience preferred
- Knowledge of and direct experience working with digital tools and platforms are essential: Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Twitter for business, Adobe Creative Suite, Airtable, and WordPress—with HTML experience preferred.
- Professional demeanor, able to quickly earn the confidence of senior leaders, and represent the Foundation externally at all levels, including to the UN.
- Excellent writing, editing, digital and interpersonal communications skills required
- Highly organized, with attention to detail, adherence to deadlines, and ability to work under pressure with multiple, shifting priorities
- Very fast learner, able to absorb complicated information quickly and learn on the job
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- This role is based in Washington, DC with potential remote work considered on a case by-case basis
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- A writing assessment will be used as part of recruitment for this role
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.