Director, Content and Engagement Strategy, Better World Campaign
- Washington, DC
- Full Time
- Employment Opportunity
The Director, Content and Engagement Strategy, Better World Campaign (BWC) will be responsible for building audiences and increasing engagement across BWC’s multiple outward-facing communications platforms and products, demonstrating the value of the UN to a U.S. audience. The Director will use data to establish and inform an integrated digital comms strategy across paid, earned, shared and owned media that takes into account BWC’s many stakeholders, including legislators, policy officials, civil society, and grassroots advocates. With support from the Communications Manager, the Director develops content across channels and for campaigns as needed. As part of the engagement strategy, the Director will maintain an actively curated media list, developing plans that deepen relationships with appropriate reporters and editors. The Director will work with members of BWC and the United Nations Foundation's (UNF) Public Affairs Team, the Director, Content and Engagement Strategy will oversee the campaign’s day-to-day traditional and digital communications.
The Director, Content and Engagement Strategy, is a member of BWC and the UN Foundation Public Affairs team. S/he will report to the Executive Director, Communications, BWC.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director, Communications to develop and implement strategic communications plans that advance BWC advocacy and public policy objectives, increase the visibility of the brand and leadership, inside the beltway and across the country
- Using data across BWC properties (website metrics, newsletters, events, social media, etc.), the Director will create comprehensive and integrated digital strategies, establishing goals and timelines that broaden BWC’s reach and engagement among key constituencies
- The Director will present weekly and monthly reporting that increases learning and insights among BWC staff
- Create and curate content including statements, speeches, blogposts, campaigns, social posts, website features, etc.
- Recommend innovations, systems, processes, and tools that can leverage resources, and capture strategies to bring individuals into BWC’s orbit
- Maintain an actively curated media contact list, tracking key reporters.
- Establish a social media strategy that deepens relationships between key reporters and BWC leadership
- Respond to media inquiries, track influencers, publications, and trends that align with BWC interests
- Lead the execution, presentation, and promotion of nationwide bipartisan opinion polling with support from BWC Comms staff
- Oversee the Foundation’s non-partisan civic engagement efforts around election cycles.
- Develop effective working relationships with key communications and public affairs professionals at the UN, State Department, Congress and the White House
- Identify opportunities to liaise with communications staffers on Capitol Hill and in the Administration
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree (Master's degree in Public Policy, Communications or related fields preferred).
- 10+ years of experience in communications/public relations/advocacy/journalism with a track record of growing digital audiences across a variety of platforms
- Robust knowledge of analytics/metrics to inform a digital strategy that leverages component parts into a more comprehensive and powerful whole
- An action-oriented communicator familiar with advocacy settings such as Congress, the Administration, or K Street
- Knowledge of foreign policy issues is preferred, as is a passion for UN-related matters
- Proficient in content creation. Excellent written, oral and presentational skills. Video skills preferred
- A keen sense of what makes and shapes news, and experience with media relations, briefings, engagement, and outreach
- Strong planning and organizational tools, an ability to multi-task when dealing with complex issues, tasks, requests, and deadlines
- A team-oriented colleague comfortable collaborating in small groups, sharing knowledge across teams
- Ability to self-manage on project management, attention to detail, and deadlines
- High-energy self-starter who can operate with minimal supervision but also knows when to ask for counsel
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced, often rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.