The UN Foundation strives to advance human dignity and protect the planet through our work on transformative issues critical to humanity’s shared future. As a strategic partner to the United Nations, we bring together fresh thinking and diverse voices to mobilize the people, ideas, and resources needed to tackle urgent problems and drive progress towards the collective promise of the Sustainable Development Goals.
The Creative Director will be an energetic leader and visionary, who is responsible for shaping brand identity and delivering thumb-stopping, game-changing creative for the UN Foundation. They will be a champion of high-quality creative work that both elevates the UN Foundation brand and makes smart content accessible and engaging for diverse audiences across platforms and formats. They will have their finger on the pulse of trends and best practices in design, video production, photography, web design, and social media. A highly skilled and experienced practitioner, and a core part of our award-winning communications team, they will help to deploy resources most efficiently and effectively, including rolling up their sleeves up to produce as needed on projects of varying scopes and timelines – from quick-turnaround deliverables to large, global campaigns – as well as bringing with them, and growing, a roster of tried and trusted professional contractors to execute on projects. They will play a key role in inspiring and supporting our team of content collaborators, helping UN Foundation raise the bar and deliver on our communication goals with creative sophistication.
The candidate must be able to produce a portfolio of work related to the essential functions of the role.
- Shape long-term creative strategy to set UN Foundation’s content and campaigns apart in the non-profit and development sectors
- Lead and work on the design of content for UNF’s digital channels, including websites, virtual event platforms, microsites, and social media
- Direct and produce concepts, layouts for a range of digital and printed products – including but not limited to websites, marketing materials, charts and data visualization, event materials, publications, and presentations – and create designs as warranted
- Expertly work on a wide range of creative projects of varying scopes at every stage – from start to finish, while managing talent. Collaborate with colleagues to coordinate budget and timelines, delegating and prioritizing as needed
- Produce and pitch original creative ideas and solutions, and offer expert creative guidance and recommendations to internal clients and senior stakeholders in a compelling, clear, and concise way
- Work closely and collaboratively with colleagues to assess performance of content, and make relevant recommendations and changes on all platforms to improve performance
- Proactively pursue, seek out, and contract creative and design talent to help UN Foundation deliver outstanding, first-in-class content and campaigns
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Communications, Advertising, or related field
- More than 12 years of experience in creative production, with increasing responsibility and seniority – preferably in agency or studio setting, or with an in-house creative team
- Exceptional track record leading and implementing end-to-end creative production cycles: scope, planning, scheduling, implementing, execution
- Ability to work in fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, while managing competing priorities with confidence and calm
- An established network of creative vendors or firms who can support UN Foundation projects
- Experience managing vendors, staff, and contract workers
- Multi-channel experience, including digital/web, social media, and video
- Highly organized with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Critical thinker, active learner, and listener who is able to offer creative solutions and approaches, assess information and ideas, and convert them into creative recommendations
- Familiarity with, and interest in the United Nations, international affairs, and the issues the Foundation focuses on is preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, clearly and convincingly with wide range of internal and external stakeholders, including senior leaders
- Knowledge and prior use of HTML.
- Microsoft Office, entire Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.