Manager, Policy, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data
The Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (Global Partnership), hosted at the UN Foundation, is a fast-growing, dynamic international partnership bringing together over 700 different organizations including governments, UN agencies, private companies, civil society organizations, and many others. We make connections and broker partnerships to address the problems of gaps in data production, poor data use, access, quality, and to work with stakeholders to fully harness the new opportunities of the data revolution in the service of sustainable development. We aim to link and align action, capacities and resources across geographies, sectors, and data communities.
We are looking for a dynamic Policy Manager with background and knowledge of data governance as well as concrete experience of digital transformation and data sharing partnerships. They will contribute substantially to defining and delivering the Global Partnership’s policy agenda by working with partners and thought leaders on data governance with a focus on legal frameworks, participatory approaches, governance and management skills, and data stewardship. They will lead collaborations and learning exchanges aiming to improve data governance in the context of digital transformation, facilitate data sharing, and strengthen the data governance and management skills of government counterparts. This role offers a unique combination of practical action to help partners overcome real obstacles to data sharing and facilitating learning across diverse partners as well as driving advocacy on accountable data governance.
This position is based in New York, London, Washington DC, or remote.
- Advance the Global Partnership’s policy and advocacy work on accountable data governance by conducting research, analysis and writing, executing convenings, consulting with partners, and contributing to the overall strategy
- Proactively identify opportunities for the Global Partnership to leverage its vast and diverse network to contribute to debates and policy development on data governance
- Build relationships with partners that are leading the conceptual and practical development of new and alternative approaches to data governance that put people and communities at the center
- Manage all aspects of implementation for projects within the Global Partnership’s accountable data governance pillar. This includes convening partners, facilitating dialogue, developing and overseeing project workplans, ensuring projects remain on track and on budget, coordinating engagement and support from across the secretariat team, and overseeing inputs from outside providers
- In collaboration with the Global Partnership Program Team, support all aspects of engagement with country partners, including brokering between providers of data governance and management training or other support and country partners
- Represent the Global Partnership at events and meetings, including with high-level partners
- Develop collateral, blogs, thought leadership and other knowledge products
- Any other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; background in international development, digital transformation, law, statistics and/or data science and a Master’s degree in related field preferred
- 5-7 years’ related work experience in data for development/data for good, including at least 4 years of project management experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of data governance laws, policies and approaches, and data sharing challenges within and between public and private sectors
- Proven ability to build relationships and facilitate collaboration across departments and with partners from different organizations to accomplish mission
- Experience with technology, data or statistics is required
- Experience with the UN Sustainable Development Goals is preferred
- Excellent research, writing, editing and analytical skills
- Excellent presentation skills, with experience of presenting to senior staff and external audiences virtually and in-person as well as chairing and moderating meetings and events
- Experience of working with high level government officials and senior staff at partner organizations.
- Good planning skills Attention to detail and ability to meet competing deadlines and cope with fluctuations in workload
- Well-organized and able to work autonomously and with other staff virtually across multiple time zones
- Team player that is interested in being part of a high functioning, fast-paced group of professionals
- Willingness to help out with tasks beyond their immediate role when needed
- Ability to work well with individuals from very different cultural and institutional backgrounds
- Fluency in English essential, proficiency or knowledge of Spanish or French preferred
- The role will require international travel; approximately 10 to 15% of the year
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
* Preference will be given to applications received by May 27, 2023.*
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.