Director, Advocacy, Communications and Partnership, Data2X
Data2X is a global gender data alliance, dedicated to improving the quality, availability, and use of gender data in order to make a practical difference in the lives of women and girls worldwide. Working in partnership with multilateral agencies, governments, civil society, academics, and the private sector, Data2X mobilizes action for and strengthens production and use of gender data.
The Director of Partnerships, Advocacy and Communications is a leadership position in Data2X and will be responsible for building on and overseeing execution of an outcome- and audience-driven integrated advocacy and communications strategy for the organization. This role reports directly to the Executive Director and will work closely with her to build and strengthen the organization. The role will have extensive interactions with key partner agencies and direct line reports and will also partner with short term consultants and oversee select vendor relationships.
This position will elevate Data2X’s advocacy for gender data, with a focus on raising the profile and influence of Data2X through increasing tangible actions, collaboration, and investment in gender data production and use among multilateral, donor, and policymaker communities. They will lead Data2X’s efforts to identify the necessary changes in policy and investments required to close gender data gaps and increase the use of gender data and identify ways Data2X can accelerate this process. This position will have responsibility for building advocacy coalitions and calls to action.
This position will also work with the Executive Director to implement brand strategy for Data2X, oversee creative multi-channel communications campaigns to communicate research and programmatic activities, and is responsible for Data2X’s externally facing properties, including website, social media channels, events, and more.
This position is based in Washington, DC. (Hybrid schedule)
- Execute a high-level advocacy and communications strategy, building upon Data2X’s new strategy to focus on identifying the actions, audiences, coalitions, and investments required to improve both the production and use of gender data to improve outcomes for girls and women.
- Develop a strategy and work to strengthen Data2X partnerships with other gender data and development data groups and agencies.
- Build on and implement policy and advocacy objectives for the gender data field, in collaboration with stakeholders, as well as objectives for Data2X’s organizational workstreams.
- Work with the Executive Director and colleagues in donor agencies (multilateral, bilateral, private) as well as advocacy partners to develop resource mobilization strategies and recommendations for increasing investments in Data2X’s work and gender data to close existing gender data gaps.
- Work closely with Data2X leadership to identify and execute plans focused on maintaining momentum for gender data during key global and regional advocacy moments.
- Represent Data2X publicly as needed, including as spokesperson for media and participating in virtual and in-person events.
- Build on and execute strategic communications for the organization, including but not limited to:
- Providing communications support to executive leadership and partners; analyze key moments and events and identify opportunities to position Data2X’s leadership and brand within global conversations.
- Lead Data2X’s editorial content strategy.
- Oversee Data2X’s event engagement strategy –and supervise team responsible for event logistics; draft talking points, press releases, etc.
- Conceptualize and execute creative, high-impact project-specific communications strategies to disseminate research findings, launch reports, elevate briefs, etc.
- Oversee Data2X’s external-facing properties, including website, social media channels, monthly e-newsletter, and more. Analyze performance of these properties and adjust approach as needed.
- Liaise with the UN Foundation’s Public Affairs team to promote Data2X’s messages within the UN Foundation and ensure our work is reflected within broader UNF priorities.
- In collaboration with the Program Management team, initiate and oversee contracts and projects with vendors and consultants, including communications and advocacy consultants, graphic designers, photographers, videographers, website agencies, other PR and media agencies, etc.
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintaining an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in public policy, international development or relevant field preferred.
- 10+ years of significant management experience in policy/advocacy and communications functions (or equivalent).
- Proven track record in developing and executing integrated advocacy and communications strategies with measurable outcomes, including resource mobilization, and in nurturing existing and new partnerships to advance progress toward those outcomes.
- Proven track record of initiating and maintaining partnerships with diverse communities,
- Experience in design, execution of advocacy strategies to influence shifts in process, policies, resources, or priorities within large agencies (including donors) and governments and identifying the right advocacy tactic for the right purpose – whether communications campaign, expert convening, or 1:1 meeting.
- Experience building multi-sector partnerships and forging successful collaboration among agencies and diverse stakeholders.
- Experience working with high level decision makers and their teams, demonstrated experience building influence plans, and ability to provide counsel to senior leadership.
- Significant experience developing multi-channel communications strategies, utilizing creative tactics.
- Experience managing staff, and cross-team work products in a collaborative team culture
- Exceptional writing and speaking skills.
- Adaptability and interest in being part of a small, dynamic, growing organization.
- Ability to travel (25% during peak periods).
- Strong understanding of global development systems, and, ideally, development data and national data systems.
- Strong understanding of gender and/or gender data preferred.
- Experience with Salesforce database system preferred
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time,benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.