The Senior Manager, Climate & Environment, spearheads and leads the Climate & Environment Department’s climate science communications efforts, working closely with other members of the department and staff across the UN Foundation.
Since 2012, the UN Foundation has supported the communications and outreach efforts of the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) – the premiere global climate science body. Together, we build and execute communications strategies capable of taking climate science into and changing mainstream conversations. The IPCC’s reports, and our support to communicate them, are indispensable in informing both broad public understanding of the risks we face, as well as the decisions that policymakers and elected officials around the world need to make.
The Climate & Environment Senior Manager oversees our collaboration with the IPCC and helps coordinate the UN Foundation’s climate communications efforts, working closely with UNF’s Public Affairs team. A nuanced understanding of climate science and climate policy is essential, as are the communications expertise and project management skills to develop sophisticated and innovative ways to communicate climate science globally.
The Climate & Environment Senior Manager supervises and works with external partners to develop media trainings, communications strategies, data visualizations, and other assets in partnership with the IPCC. The Senior Manager helps the IPCC plan and execute major events, such as report launches and other events, and s/he works with colleagues to plan and manage UNF’s day-to-day communications and outreach efforts. In addition, s/he manages a program budget and works with colleagues to fundraise for the program.
- Coordinate with UNF colleagues to develop and execute on UNF’s climate communications priorities and goals.
- Work with UNF senior leadership to support the IPCC’s communications and outreach priorities.
- Support the IPCC with the preparation and management of report launches and execute a communications strategy to reach targeted audiences through a variety of communications and outreach efforts.
- Support the IPCC in the preparation of outreach materials, including presentations and products tailored for communicating the IPCC findings.
- Supervise partners and external vendors with writing, media training, communications strategies, crisis communications, graphics, data visualization, and video to help deliver on UN Foundation and IPCC priorities.
- Work with colleagues to fundraise for climate science communications efforts and to manage a program budget.
- Keep up to date on climate science communications trends and best practice.
- Develop annual work plans and quarterly progress reports.
- Represent the Department and Foundation at outside meetings and professional gatherings.
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly.
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed.
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent in environmental science, climate policy, political science, economics, or related field required, master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 4 years work or equivalent advanced educational experience in climate and environment policy and/or communications.
- Accuracy, attention to detail, excellent written and visual communications skills, and project management experience are essential requirements.
- Strong knowledge of climate science and policy.
- Proven analytical and project management skills, including the ability to move projects forward from inception to implementation to completion.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and enjoy effective working relationships with internal staff and external partners.
- Ability to develop and own relationships with internal and external partners. Strong relationship-building and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities, to work alone and as part of a team, and to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and creatively.
- Experience with data visualization a plus.
- Website creation and design editing experience (WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite) is a plus.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.