The Nothing But Nets Associate, Grassroots Advocacy is a full time, non-exempt position responsible for supporting the campaign’s grassroots engagement program, specifically in terms of champion recruitment, partnership support and grassroots advocacy efforts.
A key objective for the Associate, Grassroots Advocacy is maximizing recruitment and engagement among grassroots advocacy supporters. The Associate is a key member of the Nothing But Nets advocacy team, working closely with the Grassroots Advocacy Officer and Director of Global Health Advocacy, as well as other campaigns and UN Foundation colleagues.
Champion Recruitment and Cultivation
- Research, develop creative tactics, and recruit prospective partners and grassroots advocates in key congressional districts, including community and student networks
- Identify and onboard prospective Champions from website inquiries, emails, and event sign-ups
- Support recruitment calls, webinars, and/or trainings to help grow an active champion base
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop advocacy goals and strategies for the year
- Collaborate with colleagues to support grassroots strategy and implementation tactics
- Collaborate with communications colleagues to develop recruitment focused advocacy content including email series, blogs, and social media posts for prospective champions
- Help develop materials and tools for in-district advocacy events and meetings
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop goals and budget for advocacy champions learning trips, including post-trip engagement opportunities for trip participants
- Oversee and maintain data integrity of advocacy action reporting database, working to ensure that grassroots advocacy actions are accurately reported by advocates and being tracked in accordance with the Constituent Commitment Curve
- Work with Campaign Coordinator to maintain inventory of campaign promotional materials and swag for advocacy events and conferences and to provide other logistical support for grassroots advocacy to include relevant contracts, mailings, and events
Annual Leadership Summit and Advocacy Day
- Assist the Grassroots Advocacy Officer with planning and logistics of key advocacy priorities and events, to include the annual Champion Leadership Summit and Advocacy Day, priority champion and partner events, etc.
- Lead Champion recruitment and cultivation with special emphasis on key congressional districts.
- Support colleagues with program development, speaker invites, and management of NBN staff responsibilities as needed
- Work with the campaign coordinator on vendor contracts, materials and swag development and ordering, champion accommodations and transportation, and operational logistics including contracts, payments, and backend budget support for the Leadership Summit and other advocacy events
Campus Chapter Program
- Continually improve on program operations and logistics including recruitment, on-boarding, member communication, and chapter selection from key house districts
- Lead engagement efforts with campus chapters by working with Grassroots Advocacy officer to host in-district recruitment, training, and advocacy activation events with a focus on key congressional districts
- Represent Nothing But Nets and the Campus Chapter Program at relevant external events and speaking engagements and with existing and potential partners
- Assist Grassroots Advocacy Officer in researching new prospective advocacy and grassroots partners (and potential grantees) and help to identify opportunities (such as events and conferences) with a focus on enhancing champion-building and advocacy-focused partnership portfolio
- Work with Grassroots Advocacy Officer to track partner engagement and report on outcomes that support advocacy partner goals and to resource and support advocacy partners to mobilize during key engagements
- Assist in material development, campaign collateral, and event support for grassroots advocacy partners
- Assist Grassroots Advocacy Officer and Campaign Coordinator in maintaining and updating advocacy programs budget
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred
- A minimum of 1-2 years of related work experience with a strong track record of success
- Grassroots engagement and/or campaign experience preferred
- Public speaking experience with the ability to inspire individuals to take action
- Competent understanding of our political system and the role of advocacy in our lawmaking process
- Enthusiastic and energetic self-starter with a positive, proactive attitude who enjoys working with a wide variety of constituents and backgrounds” (students, parents, immigrants, etc), collaborating with staff and organizing events
- Passion for the mission of the United Nations Foundation and Nothing But Nets
- Team player that is interested in being part of a highly functioning, fast-paced group of professionals and capable of developing effective working relationships with people from a variety of organizations and functional expertise
- Strong organizational, communication, and research skills
- Advanced experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as Google Drive.
- Willingness to travel periodically
- Experience with CRM platforms such as Salesforce and EveryAction preferred
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.