The United Nations Association of the USA (UNA-USA) works closely with the UN Foundation by educating, inspiring, and mobilizing Americans to support the principles and vital work of the United Nations. UNA-USA represents a grassroots membership that includes over 200 chapters and more than 20,000 members nationwide who engage in public education and advocacy initiatives, promoting strong U.S.-UN relations.
This position uniquely combines interests in international relations, public policy, grassroots movements, constituency building, and communications/public relations — all for the purpose of strengthening the U.S-UN relationship.
Working with members of the UNA-USA and Public Affairs teams, the Member Communications Associate, UNA-USA will develop communications to support the Association’s membership, chapter programs, initiatives, and campaigns, as well as coordinating the interface of communications functions with other divisions of the Foundation.
The Member Communications Associate, UNA-USA will report to the Communications Manager, UNA-USA. The position will also collaborate regularly with UNA-USA chapters nationwide. As such, this position will require travel.
Communications Strategy & Brand Management:
- Assist with development and implementation of UNA-USA strategic communications plan and content strategy.
- Manage internal communications strategy and execution for marquee events and programs (e.g., Global Engagement Summit, Leadership Summit, Global Engagement Online Series, UN Day).
Writing and Content Creation:
- Write and manage all membership recruitment and retention communications (mail, email, online, etc.) to influence membership growth in UNA-USA and ensure member communications, including automated email workflows, remain relevant, timely, and accurate.
- Write and curate publications to keep UNA-USA members informed and engaged, including PASSPORT—the members-only e-newsletter—and UNA-USA’s blog.
- Oversee the communications and engagement strategies for UNA Forum, UNA-USA’s exclusive online community for members on Slack. Responsibilities include managing the workspace, inviting new members to join via targeted emails, and performing quarterly audits to remove inactive members.
- Collaborate with the Chapter Engagement Associate, UNA-USA to develop, write, and edit chapter resources, including toolkits, handbooks, and training webinars.
- Identify new methods and opportunities to leverage and highlight member stories through various channels.
- Identify opportunities for new video content. Storyboard, compile and edit videos for marquee events, campaigns, and programs.
Web Maintenance and Email Marketing Support:
- Assist Communications Manager, UNA-USA in performing general website maintenance. Create web pages for content such as blog posts, member resources, and events. Consistently monitor chapter web pages to ensure information is up to date and assist with requests for chapter content updates.
- Assist with email marketing execution. Responsibilities include drafting and coding emails, creating targeted distribution groups, and reporting on metrics.
- Work with Membership Team to optimize membership resources and content for digital engagement.
- Work with Communications Manager, UNA-USA to conceptualize display and functionality of chapter/member assets on the website.
- Assist Communications Manager, UNA-USA with sourcing, writing, and creating original content for use on social media. Gather relevant content to write posts for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn, and create graphics where applicable.
- Support Communications Manager, UNA-USA to track and report on digital engagement metrics. Help build monthly reports on social media, email, and web analytics to draw conclusions on key findings and conceptualize data-driven strategies to boost engagement.
- Work with Communications Manager, UNA-USA to develop social media campaigns to promote and raise awareness for marquee events, elevate member stories, and recruit new members.
- Provide communications support for UNA-USA events. Assist with speaker outreach, agenda development, and attendee materials. Help with live social media coverage during key events and moments.
- Work with Communications Manager, UNA-USA, and membership team to develop and maintain UNA-USA internal communications products, including presentations on UNA-USA and UN programs, fact sheets, brochures, videos, and other materials, to support UNA-USA communications goals.
- Work closely with key member stakeholder groups (i.e., Global Goals Ambassadors, Affinity Groups liaisons, etc.) on communications strategies and support Communications Manager, UNA-USA to identify member stories to elevate.
- Perform and oversee communications duties as required during any absence of staff.
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other projects and duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum 1-2 years work experience in a professional office setting preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, Public Relations, International Relations, Journalism, or related field preferred.
- Excellent writing, editing, interpersonal, and oral communications skills, and demonstrated experience in crafting campaign messages and content.
- Experience maintaining and managing organizational social networking accounts (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, etc.) Experience with paid advertising and social media analytics tools a plus.
- Knowledge and prior use of Slack are preferred.
- Attention to detail and adherence to deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and within a team to identify, explore, and implement creative online and social media strategies and make recommendations for content and online communications tools.
- Strong skills working in teams and across many types of organizations — team-oriented; problem solver; relationship-builder; and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multitask in a very fast-paced, often rapidly changing environment.
- Stress tolerance and resilience; a sense of humor; highly organized; attention to detail; and ability to work under pressure with multiple and shifting priorities.
- Multicultural experience and willingness to travel (at least 10%).
- A demonstrated knowledge of global issues and the United Nations system, and an understanding of the UN Foundation mission, programs, strategy, and goals.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite required, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge and prior use of HTML/coding and Adobe products, including Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
- Knowledge of, experience, and proficiency with video editing software such as Adobe Premiere required.
- Proficiency in CRM & CMS — Salesforce, EveryAction, and/or WordPress highly preferred.
- This position is based in Washington D.C.
- Travel required as COVID-19 pandemic conditions allow
- Experience working with membership organizations, associations, or volunteers.
- Familiarity with international issues and/or the UN system.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Writing skill assessment is part of the interview process
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.