The Digital Impact Alliance (DIAL) is a “think, do, replicate” tank that investigates digital transformation best practice at the national, regional and global level. We combine practical research with evidence-based advocacy to identify which digital efforts work, package them as re-usable solutions and encourage their use.
DIAL is funded through a collaboration among the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the United Kingdom’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCDO) and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and hosted within the UN Foundation in Washington, D.C.
The Insights and Outreach team’s goal is to disseminate insights and replicable models, and help support standards and communities that drive digital transformation. We carry out policy advocacy and research, manage our communications, events, and brand, and strengthen and manage the communities of practice that DIAL supports, including the Principles for Digital Development, a donor contact group called Digital Donors Anonymous, and the Open Source Center.
As part of DIAL’s mandate, we steward the Principles for Digital Development (Digital Principles). The Digital Principles are a set of nine guidelines meant to help digital development practitioners better integrate digital tools and technology in their projects and programs. In this role, DIAL hosts and develops practitioner resources and community conversations about digital development, and promotes awareness, endorsement, and adoption of the Digital Principles. Under DIAL’s new Digital Beacons strategy, DIAL also develops and shares training resources and measurement frameworks to allow the use of the Principles as a good practice standard to help strengthen digital transformation and responsible data use. Approaching ten years after the Principles were originally developed, this is an exciting moment for a passionate, community-oriented, pragmatic digital development leader to help shape the next decade of the Digital Principles.
The Director, Principles for Digital Development will be a passionate advocate for the use of the Digital Principles in shaping digital best practices. They will take this passion and channel it to lead the Digital Principles agenda, working with DIAL’s leadership team, the Digital Principles Advisory Council (DPAC), and Digital Principles team to shape DIAL’s plans for stewarding the Principles for Digital Development, and leverage them in support of DIAL’s Digital Beacons Strategy. The Director, Principles for Digital Development will be accountable for the team delivering on those plans, including setting the strategy, producing, remixing, and sharing Digital Principles training, resources, publications, and podcasts; growing and developing the Principles community of endorsers and accredited trainers; engaging with key audiences and external stakeholders including donors and country governments, and exploring exciting new partnerships.
The Director, Principles for Digital Development will also provide thought leadership and programmatic support to the DIAL team, including the Leads team, in relation to the Digital Principles. Specifically, s/he will support DIAL’s Program Operations team in operationalizing the Digital Principles in our work.
The Director, Principles for Digital Development will report to the Senior Director, Insights and Outreach.
This position is remote with preference in UK, Europe, US, and Africa.
- Accountable for leading the development and operationalizing DIAL’s strategy and workplans as they relate to the Principles for Digital Development, with input and guidance from the Senior Director, Insights and Outreach, the Director of Community, DIAL’s CEO, and the Digital Principles’ team and Advisory Council
- Responsible for leading engagement with internal DIAL stakeholders to support the inclusion of the Digital Principles throughout their work
- Responsible for serving internally and externally as a subject matter expert and senior representative/ambassador of the Digital Principles by providing thoughtful input into team-wide and DIAL-wide issues; includes overseeing partner engagement, successfully executing and supporting fundraising opportunities, presenting Digital Principles content at briefings and external events, facilitating workshops as needed, and communication/collaboration with endorsers.
- Responsible for supporting the Executive Team with fundraising and business development activities through structuring and presenting funding proposals to donors and partners
Program and Communications Strategy
- Accountable for leading the development and delivery of programmatic workplans; includes ensuring effective program management, quality assurance, risk analysis and mitigation and periodic review of approach and strategy.
- Accountable for working with the Communications team to develop a communication and dissemination strategy for the Digital Principles program
- Accountable for overall leadership and oversight of Digital Principles community governance, and working with the Digital Principles Manager to lead engagement with the Digital Principles Advisory Council
- Accountable for maintaining and approving budgets of the Principles team, participating in I&O’s annual work planning and budgeting process, and conducting regular budgetary reviews of implementation plans and budgets, ensuring grant and contracts compliance, and overseeing periodic reporting as required
- Responsible for adhering to, and promoting, the use of project management standards and appropriate tools and templates as defined by standard project delivery methodologies
- Accountable decision-maker for selection and management of external vendors (e.g. management consulting firms) supporting DIAL's agenda, including vendor selection, contract pricing, quality assurance, and regular reporting
- Responsible for utilizing UN Foundation’s agreement process and systems appropriately, helping to draft and review agreements, and maintaining an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with the DIAL Operations team
- Accountable for appropriately assessing and mitigating the risks to vulnerable people posed by work under the Principles workstream
- Responsible for supporting and managing staff by providing an enabling culture for growth and creativity
- Other duties as reasonably assigned
- Master’s degree in relevant field such as international relations, international development
- 8-10 years of progression in management roles, including management of budgets over $1m and team management
- Proven leader in digital development who has used the Principles for Digital Development in program efforts for over three years and is deeply familiar with their history and usage
- Demonstrated experience working in LMICs and with the digital development ecosystem, including country governments, or INGO and UN systems
- Demonstrated experience designing and executing on strategy at the program, initiative or small business level
- Demonstrated project management experience including familiarity with procurement process, managing funding from donor organizations, budget management, and vendor management
- Familiarity with diverse stakeholders in the digital development community and proven relationship management skills. Strong networks throughout the development and digital development sector preferred
- Ability to collaborate effectively and thoughtfully across a diverse set of partners and audiences across multiple geographies and sectors
- Demonstrated capacity to facilitate and manage high-level convenings with senior members of international development organizations
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills with strong ability and excitement for public speaking
- Proven ability to serve as public representative of an organization, presenting complex topics publicly and at high-attendance events
- Relevant experience with event design and support
- Passion for the mission and purpose of the Principles for Digital Development
- Results-oriented with a predisposition for thoughtful action
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.