The Associate, Policy & Research, is responsible for providing research, writing, and editing support for the Senior Vice President, supporting core UN and Member State relationship functions. Additionally, the Associate will be responsible for tracking policy discussions at the UN.
The Associate, Policy & Research, reports to the Senior Vice President and Head of the New York Office.
- Support core UN relationship functions, such as reporting on UN Foundation activities, preparation for meetings, and additional research/writing assignments.
- Maintain an up-to-date and categorized list of UN contacts for UNF events, mailings and other activities, and support overall tracking of UNF relationships with the UN.
- Assist management of communications coming from the SVP & Head of the New York Office, including social media content, speechwriting/talking points, and briefing notes.
- Undertake other research, writing, and special projects, such as compiling briefing memos, reports, drafting correspondence, and copy editing.
- Assist in the preparation of reports and meeting notes (external and internal).
- Track news on a set of global issues relevant to the United Nations and UN Foundation.
- Serve as a focal point of a directed list of topics, tracking relevant policy discussions and events at the UN on an ongoing basis, including the coverage of key UN meetings and processes.
- Assist coordination of meeting coverage on an ongoing basis and provide flexible surge support during key UN moments.
- Provide flexible writing and research support to teams across the New York Office and organization.
- Undertake special projects for teams across the New York Office and organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in Political Science, International Affairs, History, Journalism, or a related field.
- Two years of related work experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong research, proofreading, and editing skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- General knowledge of global issues and the UN system and an understanding of the UN Foundation’s mission, programs, strategy, and goals.
- Meeting and event planning experience preferred.
- Graphic design experience preferred.
- Attention to detail and high degree of organization.
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple competing priorities.
- Ability to take initiative, self-starter.
- Dependability and punctuality a must.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.