Officer, Communications, Universal Access Project
The Universal Access Project (UAP) convenes an innovative community of philanthropists, advocates and companies striving for a world where all people have full bodily autonomy and the right to self-determination in family planning, pregnancy, parenting and sexual health and well-being as the foundation of gender equity and women’s empowerment. An initiative of the United Nations Foundation, UAP mobilizes resources and connects partners to strengthen U.S. foreign policy leadership and private sector action on global sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice. UAP is also a co-founder of The Resilience Fund for Women in Global Value Chains, a pooled corporate fund that invests in local, women-led organizations working in supply chain communities.
The UAP Communications Officer will be a dynamic communicator with experience across digital platforms and with strong writing and strategic thinking skills. Attention to detail and time management is a must, as is an ability to balance competing priorities across UAP workstreams. The UAP Communications Officer will report to the UAP Senior Director, Partnerships and Operations and will be responsible for pan-UAP communications support with a focus on managing UAP’s digital and online properties (social media and websites), event support and communications support for UAP’s Executive Director.
This position is based in Washington, DC (hybrid) or remote in the continental U.S.
- Craft a digital outreach plan and track, monitor, and report on goals and the performance of all UAP's online properties.
- Manage web vendors and oversee development of new sites, landing pages, web experiences, and other online platforms needed for programs.
- Coordinate outreach activities with UAP partners and build relationships with key organizations to advance UAP's mission.
- Write and edit print and digital publications as needed.
- Assist with strategic communications planning including campaigns and events.
- Serve as team leader on selected projects, which may include developing key messages, stories, event collateral, and other content.
- Manage vendors related to web, publications, and design, including supporting the Senior Communications Manager in managing the production process from conceptualization to dissemination.
- Draft compelling website site content and blog posts and assist with research and analysis for advocacy briefs and other written content as needed.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of UAP’s editorial calendar.
- Copyedit UAP’s public-facing documents using AP Style—reports, official correspondence, and newsletters—as needed.
- Ensure consistent implementation of brand guidelines in partnership with the Senior Communications Manager
- Executive office support, including social media and other communications support for UAP’s Executive Director.
- Drafting of blogs, opinion pieces, talking points, LTEs, and other short-form content for the executive director as needed.
- Assist with event planning during major advocacy moments by booking venues, drafting speaker invitations and briefings, creating Eventbrite forms, maintaining associated registration lists, drafting talking points for Senior Leadership, and live tweeting.
- Assist with UAP knowledge management, including digital assets management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- At least five years of full-time experience leading and/or implementing online strategy (web, email, social media).
- Background in communications required. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in the areas of gender equity, sexual and reproductive health rights, global health, and international development.
- The ideal candidate will possess a strong attention to detail, produce high-quality work, be highly motivated, and able to work both independently and with a team.
- Proficiency with Google Analytics and Google Ads required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of best practices in search engine optimization.
- Proficiency with email metrics and list management.
- Familiarity with AP style is strongly desired
- Proficiency with Photoshop, Canva, and other design tools desired.
- Familiarity with WordPress, MailChimp, or other mainstream content and contact management systems required.
- Strategic thinker committed to remaining on the cutting edge of digital communications.
- Passion for digital engagement and dedication to measurement-based performance
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with an ability to write precisely and concisely for internal and external audiences.
- Skill assessment is part of the interview process.
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, U.S. benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
*Application deadline February 26, 2024.