Data2X is a collaborative technical and advocacy platform dedicated to improving the quality, availability, and use of gender data to make a practical difference in the lives of women and girls worldwide. We work with UN agencies, governments, civil society, academics, and the private sector to close gender data gaps, promote expanded and unbiased gender data collection, and use gender data to improve policies, strategies, and decision-making.
There has been increasing attention to gender data, and some increase in dedicated funding for gender data and statistics. However, there is work to be done to increase the sense of urgency among policy, private sector, and donor communities about the importance of gender data, and a need to influence donor priorities and investments to support an increase in production, analysis, and use of gender data at country, regional, and global levels. We are seeking an individual to help lead this work.
This new position will elevate Data2X’s advocacy for gender data, with a focus on increasing tangible actions, collaboration, and investment in gender data production and use among multilateral, donor, and policymaker communities. She/he will lead Data2X’s efforts to identify the necessary changes in policy and investments required to close gender data gaps and identify ways Data2X can influence this process.
This position will have one advocacy staff member (still to be hired), will report to the Executive Director, and work closely with the wider Data2X team.
- Build upon and execute a high-level advocacy strategy focused on identifying the necessary actions, audiences, coalitions, fora, and investments required to close gender data gaps.
- Develop policy/advocacy objectives for the overall gender data field, in collaboration with stakeholders, as well as objectives for each technical workstream in which Data2X currently works (including women’s economic participation, women’s financial inclusion, civil registration and vital statistics, and gender and digital/ “big” data).
- Work with colleagues in donor agencies (multilateral, bilateral, private) as well as advocacy partners to develop resource mobilization strategies and recommendations for increasing investments in gender data to close existing gender data gaps.
- Work closely with Data2X leadership to identify and execute plans focused on maintaining momentum for gender data during key global/regional moments.
- Explore advocacy opportunities with the private sector (for instance, how private sector data can be better utilized for gender analysis with a policy impact).
- Proven track record in refining, executing, and iterating an advocacy strategy with measurable outcomes, including resource mobilization, and in nurturing existing and new partnerships to advance progress towards those outcomes.
- Experience building multi-sector partnerships/coalitions and forging successful collaboration among large agencies.
- Track record of leadership and ability to influence shifts in process, policies, resources, or priorities within large agencies or governments.
- Work experience with or within government, multilateral, or large donor agency and existing relationships in multilateral and donor communities.
- Strong understanding of global development systems, and, ideally, development data and national data systems.
- Strong interest in data for development and gender issues.
- Experience managing staff, cross-team work products, and external relationships.
- Master’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Public Policy, International Development, or other relevant field.
- Exceptional writing and speaking skills.
- Adaptability and interest in working in a start-up environment and a dynamic, growing organization.
- Ability to travel (30-40% during peak periods).
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
A choice of two health plans through CareFirst (PPO or HDHP with HSA),
- dental insurance,
- vision discounts,
- flexible spending accounts,
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution,
- group term and supplemental life insurance,
- short-term disability,
- long-term disability,
- health club discounts,
- commuter benefits, and
- employee assistance program.
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of parental leave.