Manager, Grants, Climate and Environment
The responsibilities of the Manager, Grants, Climate & Environment, will center on tracking and managing the team’s budget (including budget analytics, forecasting, and financial report generation); establishing, maintaining, tracking, and updating the team’s grants, contracts, and agreements with donors, grantees, and consultants; tracking the team’s invoices and payments; working with UN partners to efficiently grant funds into the UN system; keeping track of deadlines for all donor narrative and financial reporting; working with members of the team to submit reporting in a timely manner; working with team members to provide administrative and logistical support on events, travel, and lodging, as needed; and generally strengthening team capacity to maintain practices that align with donor and organizational policies and procedures. This person will be an integral member of the Climate & Environment Department while working closely with UNF’s Finance, Budgets, Contracts, Strategy, People & Culture, and Events teams. The Grants Manager, Climate & Environment, will report to the Managing Director, Climate & Environment.
This position is based in Washington DC. (hybrid schedule).
- Work with Climate & Environment Managing Director and workstream leads to track and manage the team’s budget across all team activities, including expense allocation, budget analytics, forecasting, budget proposal development, and donor report generation.
- Organize and lead monthly budget analysis meetings with team and workstream leads to ensure resources are being deployed on time and on-budget to meet targets and drive accurate monthly finance forecasts.
- Monitor project budget variance closely and ensure proactive communication regarding budget targets and potential adjustments.
- Work with relevant team members to draft, establish, maintain, track, and update the team’s grants, contracts, and agreements with donors, grantees, consultants, partners, vendors, and contractors, including drafting and reviewing agreements and maintaining an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s Finance and Contracts teams as needed.
- Track and coordinate payments to grantees, consultants, vendors, and partners. Track, receive, and submit invoices for payment, and ensure that payments have been made in an efficient and timely manner.
- Keep track of deadlines for all donor narrative and financial reporting and work with members of the team to ensure that reporting is submitted in a timely manner, including by drafting UNF financial reports.
- Act as the point person, working with team members inside and outside the Climate & Environment team, on grantmaking to UN partners, including agreements, disbursements, and ensuring that proper reporting is generated and shared with donors.
- Ensure compliance with donor requirements outlined in grant agreements.
- Track and manage all grant sub-awards where UNF is the prime recipient, by ensuring sub-recipients/awardee agreements are up-to-date, including amendments that reflect updates to workplan, budget, and reporting. Provide written and face-to-face communications to ensure contract terms are well understood and that partners have resources and capacity to comply with terms and reporting requirements. Ensure verification of final deliverables and payments to all sub-awardees.
- Work with team members to provide administrative and logistical support on events, travel, and lodging, as needed.
- Work to strengthen team capacity in developing and maintaining practices that align with donor and organizational policies and procedures.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants) and utilize the proper templates accordingly.
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s Contracts, Finance, and Budget teams to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of and regularly use UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements and payments, extract information, and prepare reports.
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- 3-5 years of experience with grants, contracts, and reporting, preferably in a non-profit setting.
- Demonstrated familiarity with budgets, budget processes, and grant and financial management.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Knowledge of Salesforce preferred.
- Exceptional operational and project management skills.
- Confidence and ability to operate with minimal supervision.
- Proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to work with senior staff to prepare analysis and inform decision-making.
- Proven ability to work with colleagues to meet internal and external deadlines.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and enjoy effective working relationships across teams.
- High ethical standards.
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated discretion with sensitive organizational information and strategic planning.
- Ability to work under pressure and manage competing priorities under tight deadlines.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.