Vice President, Partnerships and Strategic Initiatives
ABOUT THE UNITED NATIONS FOUNDATION
The United Nations Foundation was created in an act of visionary philanthropy to be a strategic partner for the United Nations in advancing the UN’s highest goals and values. For 25 years, the Foundation has worked at the frontiers of innovations in global cooperation, helping mobilize ideas, people, and resources to solve collective challenges at scale. Today, at this time of heightened global crisis and risk, our mission is to catalyze strategic innovations, collaborations, and coalitions that fill critical gaps in collective action and help the UN tackle the most urgent issues confronting humanity. We focus on issues at the heart of the Sustainable Development Goals, and our vision is a strengthened United Nations with the credibility, influence, and reach to be the world’s foremost platform for global cooperation in service of a more peaceful, sustainable, and equitable world.
The United Nations Foundation (UNF) seeks a strategic, creative, and globally experienced leader to become our Vice President, Partnerships and Strategic Initiatives. A new UNF leadership role reporting directly to the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer, the Vice President, Partnership and Strategic Initiatives will serve as UNF’s top development and partnerships executive, working closely with the President & CEO, UNF Board, and leaders across the organization to lead all aspects of partnership cultivation, development, and donor relations and drive the organization’s strategy for revenue growth.
The position is based in Washington, D.C., with expectation of travel. Global candidates are encouraged to apply.
CANDIDATE PROFILE & ROLE OVERVIEW
The successful candidate should have proven achievement in building strategic partnerships to grow reach and revenue for non-profit organizations in the international policy and impact arena. They will have a command of major donor segments and proven effectiveness in building partnerships. They will have a track record working in diverse and international settings, with demonstrated skill in marketing international policy and organizations and ability to work as an integral partner with the Foundation’s communications and engagement team. They will have a deep understanding of and passion for the United Nations and its role in inspiring global cooperation to face the most pressing challenges of our time.
The Vice President will be expected to:
- Provide vision and leadership to the UN Foundation’s partnership strategy and activities, with fresh ideas and networks and a proven aptitude to facilitate relationships and donor partnerships in a global context.
- Develop and implement the organization’s overall strategy to grow and steward relationships with high-net-worth individuals, corporate partners, foundations, and other partners to support the work of the Foundation and to increase the number and scale of unrestricted or lightly restricted support for the Foundation and its work in support of the United Nations.
- Grow and oversee a small high-functioning team of development professionals who will function as a center of excellence within the Foundation, both in carrying out their own responsibilities and as trusted advisers to program teams across the Foundation on all aspects of donor relationships and partnerships.
- Oversee the building of a strong dedicated team responsible for direct fundraising support to the United Nations for key UN priorities, working closely with the President & CEO and Head of the New York Office to ensure strong collaboration with UN partners working to develop fundraising campaigns and programs in support of priority UN initiatives.
- Work closely with the Chief Communications & Marketing Officer and the communications and engagement team to develop successful marketing strategies, products, and tactics to engage potential partners for the Foundation.
- Work closely with the COO, CFO, CCMO, and others to build integrated information, data, and reporting systems to support the work of both the Partnerships team and development professionals in program teams across the organization.
- Shape strategy and oversee the teams that support partnership cultivation, including the Business Council of the United Nations and Global Leadership Council.
- Work closely with the communications and events team for flagship and other major flagship events.
- Establish strong working relations with program teams across the Foundation to foster a culture of philanthropy, collaboration, and mutual support across the organizations core and programmatic fundraising needs and activities.
- Work closely with and/or supervise consultants and vendors to drive these efforts.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive resource mobilization strategy that aligns partnership and fundraising strategies with the Foundation’s mission and strategic priorities, with emphasis on major donor, foundation, and corporate giving.
- Interface with UN leadership in support of fundraising projects to support UN priorities and goals.
- Spearhead strategies to grow the portfolio of individual donors, corporate partners, foundations, and others, with emphasis on strategic partnerships and major gifts.
- In partnership with the President & CEO, CCMO, and other leaders, work with the Foundation’s Board of Directors to expand donor networks and prospects.
- Mobilize the leadership team to cultivate and steward new and existing donors.
- Provide strategic support to program leaders who spearhead restricted giving and build and sustain strong relationships with program and development leads across the Foundation.
- Strengthen a culture of data-driven development and build the systems to support it.
- Measure and evaluate the Foundation’s overall revenue pipeline, tracking progress toward goals and providing regular reporting.
- Build and lead a high-functioning team of partnership and development professionals.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree strongly preferred.
- Understanding of and passion for the United Nations, with prior UN experience strongly preferred
- Minimum 15 years of leadership experience in partnership development, fundraising, and donor relations, including track record of leadership of a comprehensive development program.
- Demonstrated ability to build and grow funding pipelines and fundraising results.
- Track record in cultivating sustained donor relationships and mission-driven funding collaborations.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a drive to try, test, and operationalize new techniques.
- Commitment to driving success based on data and learning.
- Experience working with senior executives and major donors.
- Experience in international policy environments
- Demonstrated fluency working in a global environment.
BENEFITS AND COMPENSATION
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.