Associate Director, Gender Data, Data2X
The salary range for this position is $83,000 - $106,000
Data2X, housed at the UN Foundation, is a civil society organization and gender data alliance, working with partners to improve the production and use of gender data through strategic partnerships, research, advocacy, and communications. Data2X works with UN agencies, governments, civil society, academics, and the private sector to improve the quality, availability, and use of gender data to make a practical difference in the lives of women and girls worldwide.
The Associate Director, Gender Data will provide leadership and support to Data2X’s research and technical activities. The role will span multiple subject domains and support exploration of new areas for Data2X. The Associate Director, Gender Data will report to the Executive Director and will work in close collaboration with the rest of the leadership team.
This role is based in Washington DC or remote.
Research and analytical support
- Oversee the conceptualization, design and production of research and data products on relevant gender data thematic areas.
- Draft working papers, analytic reports, flagship reports and policy briefs on topics related to gender data in collaboration with the advocacy team.
- Stay abreast of the gender data trends and landscape, particularly digital data, to identify emerging areas of relevance for gender data.
- Support research and technical quality across Data2X program areas including time use, gender data and artificial intelligence, the Gender Data Network, data cooperatives and collaboratives, and financial inclusion.
- Commission and manage research on key cross-cutting issues and in order to help Data2X to forecast and respond to emerging issues.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of peer review and quality assurance mechanisms for Data2X’s research.
- Coordinate and collaborate with partners and consultants on relevant research.
Liaison and outreach
- Provide support for key Data2X events and selected events from partners (UN Statistical Commission and World Data Forum, etc.); provide support for the development of reports, analyses, and information items for these events in collaboration with the rest of the team.
- Act as a liaison officer to Data2X partners on research activities.
- Support Data2X’s advocacy and communications team to develop advocacy materials and messages, for national, regional, and international audiences.
- Contribute to the implementation and monitoring of Data2X’s Strategic Plan
- Contribute to the other activities of Data2X upon request from the management such as fund-raising, liaising with key partnership stakeholders, and dissemination/outreach activities.
- Provide support and guidance to junior staff members and consultants.
- Support in developing proposals, requests for proposals, and grant reporting.
- Represent Data2X at meetings and events as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required. An advanced university degree (Master’s or PhD) in development economics, development policy, or another relevant discipline is highly preferred.
- At least five years of experience in empirical policy analysis.
- At least 3 years of previous experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis, and research on gender and/or development is required.
- In depth knowledge and proven experience in project management.
- Knowledge of and experience working within international, multilateral, or bilateral agencies.
- Demonstrated experience with diverse stakeholder engagement (including policymakers, donors, and private sector) and coalition-building, including cross-cultural competency.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally and within the US several times a year.
- Excellent communication, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite software and Microsoft Teams preferred.
- Experience in data analysis using statistical software packages (e.g., Stata, SPSS) as well as R and Python is preferred.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, U.S. benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.