The Digital Impact Alliance (DIAL) is a “think, do, replicate” tank that investigates digital transformation best practice at the national, regional, and global level. We combine practical research with evidence-based advocacy to identify which digital efforts work, package them as re-usable solutions, and encourage their use.
DIAL is funded through a collaboration among the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the United Kingdom’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCDO) and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and hosted within the UN Foundation in Washington, D.C.
This role reports directly to the Senior Director for Strategy and Business Development, and also works closely with the Senior Director for Program and Operations. She/he will provide significant support across all of DIAL as the organization identifies new business and other partnership opportunities; develops and manages proposals; and creates and institutionalizes core business development materials and processes.
With the launch of its new strategy Digital Beacons in January 2021, business development and partnerships have become front-and-center for DIAL as it brings its new strategy into reality. This role will provide much-needed intellectual and managerial horsepower to design, implement, and manage the core processes and materials that will underpin DIAL’s business development and partnership efforts, especially proposal development. This role will assist DIAL’s leaders in developing strong, productive new business opportunities and partnerships with key for- and non-profit actors. The Manager will be a key thought partner to all of DIAL’s programmatic teams and leadership, and act as a focal point to ensure business development activities – from scouting to proposal development to ancillary support – is as seamless as possible.
Key performance metrics for this role will reflect successful development, institutionalization, and management of DIAL’s business development processes (especially proposal management), and the creation and continuous improvement of core materials to support business development.
- Develop and implement a system to scout upcoming business opportunities from key donors and foundations, and flag for relevant DIAL leadership
- Develop and implement a system to track and monitor how DIAL is (or is not) responding to these opportunities
- Act as the central liaison for organizing partnership engagements that have a business development lens – i.e., hold the general email intake, triage the request to the right DIAL managers or other staff, coordinate meetings, take or delegate notes, and ensure follow-up on next steps from key meetings
Proposal Development Process Oversight and Related Support
- Develop and implement a system that provides support to DIAL’s teams on proposal development, including:
- Managing the overall proposal development process for a given opportunity – i.e., setting the timeline, and working with relevant DIAL stakeholders to ensure the response is put together and submitted on time and with correct clearances
- Building a repository of common DIAL language / sections for proposals that can be used consistently across most proposals, to speed the efficiency of proposal-writing
- Acting as a thought partner to the teams in developing the content for the project-specific aspects of a proposal
- Oversee and manage proposals through the entire Business Development pipeline, from identification through submission, including:
- Performing analysis of RFP/A requirements and incorporating dates, timelines, and major donor-mandated focus areas into proposal submission documents
- Leading efforts in the development of proposal strategy, including facilitating with technical leads a competitive analysis, winning themes and technical approach, key resources and partnerships
- In close coordination with Program Operations, leading final technical and cost proposal production and submission, and coordinating follow-up, monitoring, and debriefs with technical teams.
Business Development Material Development
- Spearhead a process for DIAL to develop corporate capability statements for all projects current and historical, which can be used to create a repository
- Work closely with the Communications team on the creation, development, and continuous improvement of business development marketing materials
- Assist the Senior Director for Strategy and Business Development and CEO in the creation of an initial and annual partnerships plan, covering both institutional fundraising, implementation, and other strategic relationships
- Assist in the creation of initial and updated partner landscape analysis to inform the annual partnership plan, building on DIAL program leadership’s programmatic priorities
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Demonstrated excellence with at least 5+ years’ experience in leading, writing, and coordinating business development and proposal management efforts from inception to award, ideally with U.S. and / or international development institutions and / or their implementing partners
- Demonstrated ability to influence and collaborate effectively across a diverse set of co-workers, partners and audiences across multiple geographies and sectors, e.g., industry, government, and development
- Proven ability to work with colleagues to adopt simple, structured project management processes to implement business development and partnership plans
- Outstanding oral and written communications skills that inspire diverse audiences to act, with ability to crystalize complex technical content into compelling stories – including through the creation of business development collateral
- Proficiency in Salesforce customer resource management for tracking an opportunity pipeline
- Knowledge of most aspects of DIAL’s mission and the needs of its potential partners, either relating to technology, international development, or a blend of the two
- Substantive professional experience in emerging markets with strong preference for digital
- Demonstrated experience delivering results through teams, partners, colleagues, and consultants
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to respond to fast-moving opportunities
- High attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Entrepreneurial, with a talent for creative problem solving, perseverance, flexibility, and resilience
- Results-oriented with a bias for thoughtful action
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure and under tight timelines
- Writing samples will be requested as part of the interview process
- This position is based in Washington D.C., with the possibility of remote work
- Global travel up to 20% of the time
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.