Director, Global Investments, Co-Develop
The next five years present a unique window of opportunity for exponential impact on improving development outcomes. Nearly 100 countries around the world are at different stages of their journeys to set up digital public infrastructure to improve the lives of people. Such infrastructure can enable significant improvement in social protection, financial inclusion, food security, health and education outcomes, etc. We are looking for an inspiring leader who can help realize this promise globally.
In the 20th century, physical infrastructure – electrical grids, highways, mass plumbing – created unimaginable public value and prosperity. In the 21st century, digital public infrastructure (DPI) has the same potential, leveraging digital systems like digital payments, digital identification, and data exchange to enable the effective provision of essential society-wide functions. Over 50 countries around the world are working on setting up DPI as part of a wider ‘reset’ post-COVID-19. And over the last decade, tried and tested DPI solutions have been developed that these countries can leverage quickly.
However, building and sustaining DPI in a way that lays the groundwork for a more secure, inclusive, participatory digital ecosystem is one of the greatest challenges of our time. There is a five-to-eight-year window of opportunity to make sure that DPI is built in the right way. The choices countries make now will have consequences for decades to come.
Co-Develop was created to help countries navigate this process. Co-Develop is a global not-for-profit fund committed to helping countries advance toward a digital future that is inclusive, safe and equitable. Our methodology is indicated in our name: we support technologies that are built with communities, not just for them.
It’s clearer than ever that the world’s biggest problems are fundamentally connected. Now is the time to build solutions that are just as well connected. Join us to co-develop the foundations for a fairer future!
Co-Develop is seeking an experienced, passionate, and collaborative leader to make investments in the most impactful organizations and nurture a global portfolio that can bring to life the power of well thought out digital public infrastructure. We are looking for a person who is ready to imagine new ways of improving development outcomes leveraging DPI, eager to seize the moment, and build coalitions that can have a massive positive impact at population scale.
The Director, Global Investments, will spearhead the creation of our investments process, identify promising investable opportunities, build a world class team of investment professionals, steward due diligence from start to finish, and engage with diverse stakeholders to drive toward successful results. You will work closely with the CEO, the Director of Technology & Programs, the VP of Investments Strategy and other colleagues.
This position is based in Washington, DC (Hybrid schedule).
- Imagine, explore and build a compelling portfolio of investments that can leverage DPI to have exponential impact on improving development outcomes.
- Build and manage a high-performance team of investment professionals to construct a global portfolio of investments.
- Provide active portfolio support to organizations that have received grants from Co-Develop.
- Develop and trigger a process for identifying and performing robust due diligence on potential investments.
- Engage closely with investees, establish trust, and support their progress toward desirable outcomes and results.
- Map the growing ecosystem of organizations working on digital public infrastructure, build coalitions with key stakeholders and engage them in shaping them.
- Monitor the investee portfolio and provide support for successful results.
- Clearly communicate Co-Develop’s strategy and framework for investments.
- Drive team meetings and contribute to Co-Develop’s overall organizational strategy.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Overall work experience of 15 years, with 10+ years in grant-making, impact investment, or implementation of technology projects in government
- Strong ability to engage and build trust with diverse stakeholders for positive outcomes
- Sophisticated understanding of DPI, digital public goods, open technologies, or other relevant technical areas
- High personal integrity and values based leadership; Management experience in creating and leading teams
- Exceptional organizational skills and demonstrated ability to work successfully in a rapidly evolving environment
- Ability to travel extensively across the world, represent Co-Develop well at public events, forums
- Willingness and ability to work with individuals from a broad range of backgrounds
- Experience working with organizations based in Africa, Latin America, Asia is a plus
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.