The UN Foundation (UNF) was created in 1998 with entrepreneur and philanthropist Ted Turner's historic $1 billion gift to support UN causes and activities. UNF is an advocate for the UN and a platform for connecting people, ideas, and capital to help the United Nations solve global problems including decreasing child mortality, improving disaster relief, protecting diverse cultures and environments, creating a clean energy future, empowering women and girls, and improving U.S.-UN relations. UNF is a public charity that engages in advocacy, grant making, and building partnerships.
Over the last four years, UNF has invested deeply in educating new Members of Congress (Freshman). While UNF campaigns and initiatives target Members of Congress who are in a position to influence the U.S.-UN relationship, but our work on Freshman has found that we could build new champions who will have a long-term impact on the relationship. The Associate for New Outreach will work with the grassroot and direct advocacy teams across the Foundation to work to begin to target and build support among the Freshman offices.
The Associate for New Member Outreach is a member of the UN Foundation Advocacy team and the Better World Campaign team and liaises closely with the Better World Campaign, Girl Up, Nothing But Nets, Shot@Life, and UNA-USA teams. S/he will report to the Executive Director, UN Foundation Advocacy & Global Health Advocacy.
- Works with the Executive Director of UN Foundation Advocacy and the rest of the UN Foundation Advocacy team to formulate and execute legislative strategy and messages on for Freshman Congressional districts
- Works with the Better World Campaign, Girl Up, Nothing But Nets, Shot@Life, and UNA-USA teams to help formulate and carry out online grassroots engagements, identify partners, and cultivate grasstops champions for engagements with the Members of Congress in the targeted Congressional districts and during key advocacy moments (e.g. Leadership Summits)
- He or she will work with the Better World Campaign, Girl Up, UN Foundation Advocacy, Nothing But Nets, Shot@Life, and UNA-USA teams to update and research and compile key points for letters, talking points, fact sheets, blogs, op-eds, and policy analyses for immunization and malaria programs
- Assist BWC staff with the engagement of freshmen members in staff or congressional delegations
- Collaborate with Communications and Legislative Officers to monitor what Freshman Members are saying through social media, in press statements, and in congressional hearings and then follow-up with those offices
- Collect and maintain data and provide updates about advocacy actions taken by grassroots advocates, actions by Members of Congress or their staff, and other data
- Other duties as assigned.
- College degree required; preferably in the fields of political science, international affairs, economics or global heath and an advanced degree preferred
- At least 1 -2 years of experience on Capitol Hill, on political campaigns, or in grassroots organizing
- Experience representing the organization to outside audiences required
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Previous experience developing written materials (analyses, reports, talking points, etc.)
- Ability to develop, maintain, and enjoy effective working relationships with people from a wide variety of organizations and with a wide variety of functional expertise
- Ability to drive projects from inception to implementation
- Proven ability to work across departments to accomplish mission
- Openness, flexibility and a team player
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.