Coordinator, Operations & Finance, U.S. Climate Alliance
The U.S. Climate Alliance is a bipartisan coalition of governors securing America’s net-zero future by advancing state-led, high-impact climate action. The Alliance Secretariat helps its members accelerate climate action by providing a broad range of technical, analytical, policy, and capacity assistance and resources. The Alliance has also built strong relationships with the federal administration to help create and implement an ambitious, durable national climate framework. For more information on the Alliance, please visit www.usclimatealliance.org.
The U.S. Climate Alliance seeks an Operations and Finance Coordinator to support the deployment of capacity-building resources to member governors through a range of administrative, budgeting, contracting, and project management support. This position is ideal for early career candidates looking to join a dynamic organization and gain valuable experience while supporting the leadership of Alliance states and territories at a critical moment for climate. The Operations and Finance Coordinator reports to the Chief of Staff and directly supports the work of the Alliance’s Policy Team and Programs & Analysis Team. Key responsibilities include administering contracts, contributing to budgeting and financial tracking, and assisting in a variety of operations-focused projects. The Operations and Finance Coordinator should be highly organized, detail-oriented, proactive, and committed to advancing our mission. The position is part of the Energy and Climate team at the United Nations Foundation, which houses the U.S. Climate Alliance Secretariat.
This position is based in Washington, DC (hybrid schedule) with consideration for remote work in the continental U.S.
In collaboration with members of the Alliance’s Policy Team and Programs & Analysis Team, administer service agreements, grant agreements, and work orders.
- Complete any required due diligence research of vendors and grantees.
- Work closely with fellow Secretariat team members, the UN Foundation contracts office, and vendors to manage any needed scope of work refinement so that projects funded are in line with state needs, donor intent, and the mission of the Alliance.
- Draft service agreements, grant agreements, and work orders using standardized templates.
- Facilitate contract negotiation between vendors or grantees and the UN Foundation contracts office.
- Create cover sheets for grants in Salesforce.
- Manage and process invoices from grantees and vendors performing work for the Alliance’s Policy Team and Programs & Analysis Team.
- Compile monthly expense reports in Concur and submit for leadership’s approval.
- Support the development of budget reports that highlight historic and anticipated spending on Alliance projects that support states and priority policy areas.Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience, which may include internships or fellowships.
- Experience using the Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Experience using Salesforce and project management tools is a plus.
- Experience managing active contracts and grant agreements, developing project budgets, and managing vendors is a plus but not required.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to track and follow through on completing tasks in timely manner.
- Proficiency for anticipating and avoiding potential challenges.
- Organizational, political, and emotional intelligence and ability to use discretion around sensitive information.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- A commitment to the Alliance’s mission and values.
The Secretariat’s core values represent our team’s highest priorities and driving forces. These values are the heart of how we go about doing our work in support of each other and our member governors and states, serving as cultural cornerstones and exemplified by all members of our team.
- Purpose: We are aligned by a common purpose to confront the climate crisis and its impacts through the power of state government. We connect our daily work to the Alliance’s mission and, in pursuit of our shared goals, always act in the best interest of our governors and states.
- Excellence: We have high standards in the work we do to support Alliance governors and states. We are focused, data-driven, and attentive to the smallest of details while never losing sight of the big picture.
- Empathy: We value kindness and treat others with dignity and respect, recognizing that our actions affect one another and all those with whom we interact. We consider growth, learning, and development to be priorities.
- Inclusion: We actively work to increase diversity, advance equity, and cultivate a welcoming work environment where everyone feels valued. We are collaborators and prioritize teamwork — knowing that it will take our broader community all working together to ultimately solve the climate crisis.
- Balance: We value a positive work environment and, even in the hectic day-to-day, we make the time to build relationships, celebrate successes, and laugh. We know that balancing home and work lives is essential and encourage each other to put the health and well-being of ourselves and our loved ones first.
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.