Policy Analyst, Energy, U.S. Climate Alliance
The U.S. Climate Alliance is a bipartisan coalition of governors committed to upholding the goals of the Paris Agreement. The U.S. Climate Alliance secretariat provides strategic, convening, analytical and other functions to support Alliance states in making progress on their climate priorities. For more information on the on the Alliance, please visit www.usclimatealliance.org.
The Policy Analyst works with senior staff of the U.S. Climate Alliance Secretariat to provide research and analysis on a range of energy generation and end use climate issues with a primary focus on building decarbonization. The Policy Analyst reports to the Senior Policy Advisor for State Climate and Energy and will be expected to work as part of a broader team that includes Alliance states and staff, consultants, and external partners. The Policy Analyst supports and responds to state-led initiatives and also coordinates with the Energy and Climate team at the United Nations Foundation, which houses the U.S. Climate Alliance Secretariat.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. or remote.
- Coordinate State Working Group(s): Provide support to Senior Policy Advisor in the management of state working groups and initiatives including scheduling calls, taking notes, following-up on action items, and engaging stakeholders to scope and implement projects.
- Generate Policy Options Papers, Roadmaps, Resource Guides, and other Major Alliance Deliverables: At the request of Alliance states and the Secretariat, draft briefing papers and guides for states that analyze policy options across climate and natural and working lands issues. As requested, and where applicable, make recommendations that are ambitious, politically feasible and technologically possible. Conduct policy research, analyze key sector trends, and draft chapters of the Alliance’s annual report that outline progress towards our climate goals. Contribute to products that help Alliance states improve greenhouse gas inventories, measure progress towards policy goals, and quantify the co-benefits of action. Conduct research and analysis and draft material for Alliance products across other sectors as needed.
- Draft Documents for Alliance Meetings: Work with team members to prepare materials that support major Alliance meetings and workshops, including by working with Alliance states, consulting outside experts and conducting desk research.
- Track Developing Energy Sector Policies: Contribute to the Alliance’s policy tracking efforts by conducting research and actively tracking the development of state and federal policies and programs.
- Review and Process Contracts and Grant Agreements: Work with team members to support new contracts and grant agreements including drafting or reviewing scopes of work, working with the contracts teams to revise, drafting reputational risk memos, and processing through Salesforce. Work with team members to also process and manage invoices of existing grants and contracts.
- Maintain working knowledge of the UNF agreement process (for both contracts and grants), and when to utilize the proper templates accordingly. (As applicable to the role)
- Draft and review agreements and maintain an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with UNF’s finance/contracts team as needed. (As applicable to the role)
- Attend training sessions provided by UNF’s contracts team to maintain and keep up to date with UNF’s current policies and procedures. (As applicable to the role)
- Maintain a strong knowledge of UNF’s Salesforce database to be able to process and track agreements, extract information, and prepare reports. (As applicable to the role)
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree, or a bachelor’s degree with substantial relevant work experience.
- 2-3 years’ experience in climate research, data, and policy analysis (more if the candidate does not have a master’s degree)
- Demonstrated strong research, analytical, writing, presentation, and briefing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with and guide coalitions to achieve results.
- Familiarity with U.S. climate programs and policies, with deep knowledge of the state policy landscape across these sectors
- Familiarity with relevant U.S. and other climate-related datasets and tools
- Critical thinker that can generate products tailored to different audiences without requiring frequent direction
- Ability to work as part of a small and busy team
- Self-motivated with strong ability to find solutions in the face of challenges
- Maximum flexibility in accepting and professionally executing a range of tasks
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to diplomatically engage diverse counterparts and use personal discretion in working with sensitive information
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.