Manager, Advocacy, Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data
The Advocacy Manager will drive advocacy and outreach strategies for the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development Data (the Global Partnership).
The Global Partnership, hosted at the UN Foundation, is a fast-growing, dynamic international partnership bringing together over 700 different organizations including governments, UN agencies, private companies, civil society organizations, and many others. We make connections and broker partnerships to address the problems of gaps in data production, poor data use, access, quality, and to work with stakeholders to fully harness the new opportunities of the data revolution in the service of sustainable development. We aim to link and align action, capacities, and resources across geographies, sectors, and data communities.
Working with the Global Partnership’s vast network, the Advocacy Manager will implement strategies that build political and financial support for effective and responsible data systems, that influence political decision-makers to treat data as a strategic asset, and that drive a growing Data Values movement. The Advocacy Manager will also lead on the Global Partnership’s cross-organizational approaches and learning on strategic advocacy with a focus on implementing the Data Values campaign and supporting the integration of the Data Values agenda across the Global Partnership’s work. The Advocacy manager will build relationships and partnerships with advocates and activist organizations and stay up-to-date on new practices and trends in global advocacy.
This is a full-time position and is based in New York, London, Washington DC, or remote.
- Implement collective advocacy strategies and campaigns that advance the Global Partnership’s policy agenda, in consultation with partners and other secretariat colleagues
- Develop and manage relationships with international advocacy networks, organizations and activists and refine engagement models to align, shape, and progress the Global Partnership’s policy agenda
- Oversee the Global Partnership’s advocacy campaigns including facilitating partner engagement, coordinating inputs and sub-projects from across the Global Partnership secretariat and managing advocacy staff, consultants, and sub-contractors as required
- Support the execution of the Global Partnership’s political strategy, including analyzing political dynamics, mapping stakeholders, building coalitions, implementing strategic convening, contributing to publications, attending events, and communicating via the website and directly with partners
- With the Impact and Learning team, lead cross-organizational learning and knowledge exchange on strategic advocacy, and lead the development of new tools and frameworks to institutionalize best practices
- With the External Relations team, contribute to the development of communications plans and products that support the Global Partnership’s advocacy goals
- With the Senior Director of Policy and the Senior Manager, Strategy and Development, identify potential sources of funding from external agencies interested in the Global Partnership’s advocacy priorities and work with relevant colleagues to ensure follow-up
- Provide strategic advice on advocacy methods and tools across the Global Partnership secretariat activities
- Represent the Global Partnership at events and meetings, including with high-level partners
- Develop collateral, blogs, thought leadership, and other knowledge products
- Any other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5-7 years’ experience in advocacy, policy, and/or communications in international development or foreign policy
- Demonstrated experience analyzing incentives and political dynamics, mapping stakeholders, and identifying entry points for advocacy
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with people from a wide variety of organizations, cultures, and with a wide variety of functional expertise
- Demonstrated understanding of the links between policy analysis, campaigning, and media engagement and of how policy change can be achieved through effective advocacy
- Proven ability to build relationships and coordinate stakeholders across sectors and geography.
- Experience with the Sustainable Development Goals, international development or work with marginalized groups is required, experience with technology, data or statistics is preferred
- Excellent research, writing, editing and analytical skills
- Excellent presentation skills, with experience of presenting to senior staff and external audiences virtually and in-person as well as chairing and moderating meetings and events
- Experience of working with high level government officials and senior staff at partner organizations.
- Good planning skills to be able to meet competing deadlines and cope with fluctuations in workload
- Well-organized and able to work autonomously and with other staff virtually across multiple time zones
- Ability to manage staff and support staff growth
- Ability to flexibly manage multiple tasks with attention to detail and deadlines
- Team player that is interested in being part of a highly functioning, fast-paced group of professionals
- The role will require international travel approximately 10 to 15% of the year
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
* Preference will be given to applications received by May 27, 2023.*
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.