The Digital Impact Alliance (DIAL) is a “think, do, replicate” tank that investigates digital transformation best practice at the national, regional, and global level. We combine practical research with evidence-based advocacy to identify which digital efforts work, package them as re-usable solutions and encourage their use.
DIAL is funded through a collaboration among the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the United Kingdom’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCDO) and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and hosted within the UN Foundation in Washington, D.C.
The Insights and Outreach (I&O) team shapes DIAL’s research, policy, communities of practice and communications work for the organization. The team gathers insights from digital development practitioners, curates replicable models that can be used to achieve policy objectives consistent with DIAL’s vision and mission and shapes our brand and communications strategy to achieve digital transformation and responsible data use. The I&O team houses all policy research, communities of practice, and communications expertise for the organization.
Within I&O, the communications team works across DIAL to support program groups to shape our communications and brand strategy, market our products and communities of practice, disseminate our publications and raise our profile. The Senior Associate, Digital Communications will be a key member of the DIAL team, responsible for website management for both DIAL and the Principles for Digital Development. The Senior Associate, Digital Communications, working with the Director, Communications and the Manager, Principles for Digital Development will also ensure that holistic digital channel approaches are mainstreamed within our overall communications strategies, covering social media, our website, email newsletter and other digital platforms. The Senior Associate, Digital Communications will report to the Manager, Communications and will work closely with the Manager, Principles for Digital Development, other members of the I&O team and the organization at large.
- Accountable for maintaining DIAL and the Principles for Digital Development digital presence including updating and monitoring social media channels, email newsletters and drafting and copyediting content
- Responsible for maintaining, updating, and ensuring the content and security of the DIAL and Principles for Digital Development websites
- In consultation with the Communications Director and Manager, Communications, accountable for developing digital approaches that support the delivery of the overall Communications Strategies for DIAL and the Principles for Digital Development
- Responsible for leveraging agreed messaging and supporting colleagues to find and use them.
- Responsible for leveraging agreed brand and image guidelines and supporting colleagues to find and use these resources
- Responsible for keeping comms activities under their management to their implementation plan and budget, proactively mitigating project risks and issues and providing periodic reporting as required
- Responsible for utilizing UN Foundation’s agreement process and systems appropriately, helping to draft and review agreements and maintaining an understanding of all agreement terms and applicable flow-downs, consulting with the UN Foundation’s finance/contracts team as needed
- Responsible for coordinating with DIAL’s Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning team to track the reach of DIAL’s campaigns, digital products, and influence, as well as reporting against organizational KPIs
- Responsible for managing and supporting the work of other communications staff as needed, supporting their effective working and professional development
- Responsible for ensuring effective collaboration and coordination with UNF communications colleagues
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of creating and implementing digital strategies, including web and social media channels, audio visual materials and graphics.
- 3-5 years relevant experience in the marketing or communications field and interest and/or experience in writing and editing for digital communications campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus demonstrated interest in the UN and international affairs, and emerging technologies (preferred)
- Demonstrated skills and experience with a) graphic design and/or b) creating compelling and appealing slide decks and presentations which tell a clear story and convey complex concepts in a clear and engaging way
- Experience with managing and maintaining a WordPress website and associated technologies (such as plugins)
- Experience with delivering clear and usable recommendations and analysis through web analytics including Google Analytics, and demonstrated experience delivering powerful SEO results
- Production experience and/or interest in webinars, and other multimedia platforms
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Strong creativity and organizational skills
- Strong teamwork and high EQ, with the ability to work well across teams, including collaborating in matrix approaches with multiple small, fast-paced teams
- Ability to take initiative and be a self-starter while also contributing to a strong team environment
- Ascribe to DIAL’s values of Commitment, Collaboration, Empowerment, Courage and Thoughtful Action
- This role is based in Washington D.C.
- A skill assessment is part of the interview process for this role.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.