Manager, Policy and Stakeholder Engagement
- New York, NY
- Full Time
- Employment Opportunity
- Mid Level
The United Nations Foundation (the UN Foundation) was created in an act of innovative philanthropy to be a strategic partner for the United Nations in advancing its highest goals and values. The Foundation works to mobilize ideas, people, and resources to solve global challenges at scale, from global health security to climate change, and grow a diverse and durable constituency for effective collective action. The Foundation focuses on issues at the heart of the Sustainable Development Goals, building initiatives across sectors to and engaging diverse influencers and constituencies to drive global progress.
The Manager, Policy and Stakeholder Engagement, is responsible for supporting the UN Foundation’s stakeholder engagement in the New York-based UN community by helping design, organize, and execute events and engagement strategies that build relationships and advance key policy priorities and processes. These range across issues at the top of the global agenda, including climate change, global public health, inequality, innovations in multilateralism, as well as the SDGs overall. The successful candidate will support the Senior Vice President in New York, and work closely with policy leads across the Foundation, to curate events that build and diversify relationships and connections across the broader UN community of Member States, civil society, academia, business, and other partners. These will be expected to range from small private discussions to larger public events, and the successful candidate will be adept at a mix of in-person, virtual, and hybrid convenings.
The Manager, Policy and Stakeholder Engagement, reports to the Senior Vice President/Head of New York Office and will work closely with the events team as well as policy and program leads across the Foundation.
- Work with policy and program leads to design, curate, and execute events that make a meaningful contribution to key global policy debates and processes
- Work with communications team to help coordinate planning, execution, and follow up of signature and major events, such as during the UN General Assembly High-Level Week, High-Level Political Forum, and other international milestone moments
- Support development of relationships with UN Member State missions in New York, identifying areas for collaboration, maintaining up-to-date contacts and lists, and serving as focal point for protocol
- Serve as focal point for VIP visits, including Foundation Board members, U.S. Congressional Delegations, and others
- Manage design, planning, and exceptional execution of all New York-facing convenings, including budgets and work plans, development of any presentational or background materials, and logistical support for related travel
- Liaise and coordinate with the Foundation’s Events to contribute to learning and best practice
- Manage budgets and contracts for New York-facing convenings, including engagement with external vendors, consistent with Foundation policies and systems (Salesforce)
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree required in international relations, political science, communications, or similar field. Advanced degree in related field strongly preferred
- Minimum five years of experience in coordination or similar role related to planning and managing projects in fast-paced multidisciplinary settings and across multiple teams
- Ability to learn quickly and understand relevant subject matter and apply this knowledge to event and programming needs
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, and a positive attitude
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, including keen attention to detail, ability to manage time effectively, track and follow-up on various tasks, and multi-task
- Knowledge of the United Nations system and international issues, with experience in political or policy environments strongly preferred
- Knowledge of diplomatic protocol and processes
- Demonstrated experience with organizational, budget, project management, and digital tools and platforms
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in multi-cultural settings
- Ability to be based in New York
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.