Senior Director, Fundraising Strategy and Engagement
- Full Time
- Employment Opportunity
The Senior Director, Fundraising Strategy and Engagement will focus on UNF strategic priorities. She/he will create and implement strategies for the ongoing engagement and diversification of UNF’s donor base. The Senior Director is accountable for UNF’s fundraising performance including identification of prospects, development of donor strategies, cultivation and coordination alongside Senior Leaders, and direct solicitation and stewardship. S/he is responsible for enhancing, establishing, and administering initiatives designed to achieve both short and long-range fundraising and donor engagement goals.
The Senior Director, Fundraising Strategy and Engagement will develop effective stewardship strategies for all donor groups (individuals, corporations, and foundations) to increase unrestricted and/or lightly restricted revenue to UNF. S/he will partner with Integrated Development Team members and other UNF teams to develop and execute customized growth strategies for corporations, foundations and high-net-worth individuals (HNWI).
The Senior Director, Fundraising Strategy and Engagement reports to the UN Foundation’s Senior Vice President of Global Philanthropy and will work closely with the President and Chief Executive Officer, and other UN Foundation executive leadership on a regular basis. S/he will support the achievement of the Foundation’s general operating and initiative-specific fundraising goals 1) with the support of a team of centrally managed development professionals and 2) in partnership with a network of colleagues within the UN Foundation responsible for initiative-specific resource mobilization.
This position is based in Washington, DC, or remote.
Strategy and Planning
- Develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan that aligns fundraising goals to the Foundation’s mission
- Manage fundraising reporting process and tools to communicate overall performance target stakeholders
- Monitor, measure, and evaluate the Foundation’s overall revenue pipeline, tracking progress toward the goals and working with development colleagues to ensure integration and accuracy in reporting
Engagement & Stewardship
- Selectively identify, research, and screen target donors aligned with UNF fundraising and investment priorities
- Partner with Public Affairs team to develop effective, customizable fundraising assets
- Develop and manage strategy for the development of donor impact and stewardship reports
- Provide opportunities for corporate partners to engage the employee base in philanthropic activities in support of the UNF
Analytics & Research
- Manages prospect research efforts for prospective donors and partners for the Integrated Development team
- Develops and maintains prospect tracking systems and implements other reporting and structural systems that will indicate program progress
- Apply fundraising experience and analysis expertise to develop new ways to understand donor behavior to contribute to fundraising efforts and improve donor retention and engagement.
- Provide senior development staff with data-driven strategy insights across fundraising and digital engagement efforts
- Represent UNF at national and international philanthropic symposia and gatherings.
- Build platforms and opportunities for UNF to gain recognition as an innovative leader in philanthropy
- Continue to advance awareness of and engagement with United Nations Foundation to a wider audience, including serving as an external representative of the brand at conferences, company meetings, and events
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years experience in fundraising
- Demonstrated success stewarding major gifts across all donor segments preferred.
- Ability to cultivate relationships and engagement
- Proven experience navigating and relationship building within complex organizations, including a track record of integration across teams
- Proven experience and success in developing and implementing mid-level and major gift fundraising programs and track record of personally soliciting major (6-figure and greater) gifts.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to both verbally articulate compelling cases for support and design and write strategic, compelling proposals
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team in a dynamic work environment.
- Keen attention to detail; solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to think strategically and develop short- and long-term development plans and strategies
- Computer proficiency with databases, spreadsheets, and word processing; Salesforce experience preferred
- Strong background in program planning and strategic initiative development
- Strong leadership, administrative, and budgetary skills
- Must be able to work independently, adapt to changing priorities and multi-task to meet deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Willingness to travel
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.