Associate, Business Analysis (Analyst), DIAL
- Full Time
- Employment Opportunity
- Entry Level
The Digital Impact Alliance (DIAL) is an independent global alliance funded through a collaboration with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), the UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO), and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida), and hosted within the United Nations Foundation in Washington, D.C. DIAL was established in 2015 as a “think, do, replicate” tank. We combine practical research with evidence-based advocacy to advance digital inclusion to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). DIAL identifies barriers to the routine use of digital solutions and data by development actors (countries, NGOs, multilateral institutions); tests ways to remove them; and package solutions for these actors to use in service delivery efforts.
Software platforms have yet to reach ubiquitous scale in the sector, and commercial software providers have not appreciably adjusted their product design to meet the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Digital investments in global development are most often siloed by programmatic sector and working within constricted timelines, resulting in fragmentation and duplication of effort, de-prioritization of reuse, increased overall cost, and a limited the number of Information Communications Technology (ICT) applications that have built sufficient momentum to develop into broadly reusable software platforms. These ICT investments don’t address the end-to-end needs of government programs and digital services, leaving governments to determine how to integrate multiple, often fragmented technologies. A fragmented environment slows down and hinders a country’s progress towards digital transformation.
The Integrated Delivery (ID) team focuses on testing and delivering products, services, and guidance to country governments to accelerate the achievement of the SDGs through digital transformation. We aim to create platforms and guidance that enables low-income countries in generating, adapting, and using appropriate digital and data global goods. DIAL invests in and develops the Catalog of Digital Solutions (www.https://solutions.dial.community) to support the discovery and evaluation of digital technologies used to achieve the SDGs.
DIAL is seeking an Associate, Business Analysis to improve the availability, quality, and usability of data in the Catalog. The Associate will expand their knowledge of data sources in the Catalog and will become a subject matter expert on the data and its usage, conduct data discovery exercises, manage datasets, interpret data, and present analysis.
This position is based in Washington, DC or U.S. remote.
- Acquire in-depth knowledge of the data contained in the Catalog
- Support data stewards, technical and business teams, and implementing partners to understand and capture critical insights about data
- Identify new sources of data about digital technologies and datasets
- Support technical team to integrate new data into the Catalog
- Curate and create new use cases and playbooks, providing guidance to actors on how to leverage digital technologies in development projects
- Identify missing, inaccurate, and/or inconsistent data and work on improving data quality
- Gather and analyze information to make decisions about our data assets and its quality or use
- Propose recommendations for improving the data quality system and management of data
- Support Catalog team to establish community of actors who are actively contributing data as well as validating existing data
- Research digital products and create data mappings showing connections between these products and standards being developed by DIAL and partners
- Present and share findings to non-technical or senior executive individuals
- Understand algorithms of moderate complexity
- Create data visualizations for public dissemination
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in related field; Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, mathematics, business, information technology, computer science or another related field preferred
- Theoretical background and demonstrable knowledge of statistics, mathematics, information systems
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills
- Demonstrated problem-solving abilities and experience in data analysis and working with a wide range of stakeholders required
- Ability to engage in multiple projects and develop approaches to resolve a wide range of issues.
- Detail-oriented, creative, inquisitive, committed, and self-motivated
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy
- Excellent communication skills (spoken and written), including the ability to convey complex technical concepts both orally and in writing in a clear, concise manner
- Ability to organize, plan and implement work assignments, manage competing demands and work under pressure of frequent and tight deadlines. Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Experience in data analysis/review, inventorying/cataloging data, and working through the data lifecycle
- Experience working with data visualizations and mapping tools and knowledge of statistical modeling
Benefits & Compensation
For full-time, benefit eligible employees, UNF offers an excellent range of benefits, including:
- a choice between two health plans through UnitedHealthcare (PPO or HDHP with HSA)
- dental insurance
- vision insurance
- flexible spending accounts
- 403b retirement savings plan with a generous matching contribution
- group term and supplemental life insurance
- short-term disability
- long-term disability
- health club discounts
- commuter subsidy
- back-up care
- employee assistance program
Additionally, all benefit eligible employees have 12 paid holidays, 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 8 weeks of family leave care.
The United Nations Foundation is proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative-action employer. The United Nations Foundation provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.